Asphalt shingles remain a popular choice for homeowners due to their affordability, versatility, and durability. Among asphalt shingles, architectural shingles (also known as laminate or dimensional shingles) offer a stylish and high-performance roofing option, providing enhanced curb appeal and superior weather protection. As the leading and most trusted residential roofing contractor in New Hampshire and Southern Maine, J. Carnes & Son Roofing specializes in advising homeowners on the best roofing materials to suit their homes, including architectural shingles, as well as providing professional installation, repair, and maintenance services. In this blog post, we will discuss the advantages of architectural asphalt shingles, guide you through the different styles and color options available, and share valuable insights and tips for selecting an experienced installer and maintaining your home’s stunning new roof.
Architectural asphalt shingles elevate the traditional look of three-tab shingles with their multi-layered, dimensional appearance and enhanced performance capabilities. These shingles complement various home styles and provide lasting beauty and protection. J. Carnes & Son Roofing remains committed to helping homeowners find the perfect roofing solution and ensuring expert installation for long-lasting results. In the following sections, we will delve into the specific benefits of architectural shingles, explore the diverse styles and color options, and provide guidance on installation and maintenance for your upgraded roofing system.
Advantages of Architectural Asphalt Shingles
Architectural asphalt shingles offer a range of benefits for homeowners seeking a stylish roofing solution with superior performance:
1. Aesthetic Appeal: With their multi-layered, dimensional profile, architectural shingles add visual depth and a sophisticated appearance to your home, complementing various architectural styles.
2. Durability: Constructed with heavier asphalt and fiberglass materials, architectural shingles hold up better against harsh weather conditions and impacts compared to traditional three-tab shingles, often withstanding winds up to 130 mph.
3. Extended Lifespan: Due to their enhanced toughness, architectural shingles can last up to 30 years or more with proper installation and maintenance, making them a long-lasting investment for your home.
4. Increased Home Value: The upscale appearance and improved performance of architectural shingles can enhance your home’s curb appeal and potentially increase its resale value.
Styles and Color Options of Architectural Shingles
Architectural asphalt shingles are available in various styles and colors, providing homeowners with an array of options to suit their preferences and home design:
1. Classic: Traditional architectural shingles mimic the appearance of wood shakes, offering a timeless, classic look suitable for a wide range of home styles.
2. Contemporary: For a modern twist on architectural shingles, contemporary options feature unique cutouts, patterns, and textures, creating a sleek and up-to-date appearance for your roof.
3. Specialty: Specialty architectural shingles may mimic the look of other materials, such as slate or tile, allowing homeowners to achieve the desired aesthetic without the cost or weight of genuine slate or tile roofs.
4. Customizable Colors: Architectural shingles come in a variety of color combinations, from subtle earth tones to bold and eye-catching hues. Matching or coordinating your shingle color with your home’s exterior color scheme can enhance curb appeal and create a harmonious, polished look.
Professional Installation and Maintenance Tips
Ensuring a successful architectural shingle installation and prolonging your roof’s lifespan entail partnering with an experienced contractor and following essential care practices:
1. Trusted Installer: Hire a reputable and skilled roofing contractor like J. Carnes & Son Roofing, who specializes in architectural asphalt shingles, to ensure proper installation and an extended lifespan for your roof.
2. Proper Ventilation: A well-ventilated roofing system is critical for maintaining the health and longevity of your architectural shingles. Your contractor should ensure that your attic has adequate ventilation to prevent heat and moisture buildup, which can damage your shingles over time.
3. Waterproof Underlayment: An effective underlayment serves as a critical moisture barrier and provides an extra layer of protection for your roof decking. Your roofing contractor should install a high-quality, waterproof underlayment beneath your architectural shingles.
4. Periodic Inspections: Schedule regular roof inspections with your contractor to monitor your shingles’ condition and identify any potential damage or issues early on. Prompt repairs can extend your roof’s lifespan and prevent costlier problems down the line.
5. Debris Removal: Keep your roof clear of debris, such as leaves, twigs, and moss, which may cause moisture buildup, leading to shingle and roof deck damage. Regular cleaning and occasional professional moss removal help maintain your architectural shingles’ integrity.
Architectural asphalt shingles offer a beautiful and reliable roofing option for homeowners looking to enhance their home’s appearance, protection, and value. By understanding the advantages of these shingles, exploring the diverse styles and color options, and partnering with an experienced roofing contractor like J. Carnes & Son Roofing, you can ensure proper installation and maintenance of your upgraded roofing system. We are one of the most trusted roofing contractors in NH.